Sunday, October 7, 2007

The ssSwisssss Alpssss







Mountains are a common theme in the Old Testament. In Deuteronomy 4 Moses says,
"the LORD said to me, 'Gather the people to me, that I may let them hear my words, so that they may learn to fear me all the days that they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children so.' And you came near and stood at the foot of the mountain, while the mountain burned with fire to the heart of heaven, wrapped in darkness, cloud, and gloom. Then the LORD spoke to you out of the midst of the fire. You heard the sound of words, but saw no form; there was only a voice." Mountains are used as an illustration for the righteousness of God, a place of refuge, a place of hiding, the place where Moses fasted for the people of Israel when God wanted to destroy them. The place where God chose to reveal His deliverance for Elisha, the place with God associates His work, (See writings of David, Moses, Jesus, ect..) The Holiness of God's mountain is compared to the Holiness of God Himself, a symbol of blessing/ reprieve for the righteous in Isaiah. Many others which I have not the time to look up.
The bottom three pictures are from my trip to Geneva with Woody today. It was a great time of fellowship and enjoying the splendor of God's Creation. In France, many believers if not most, believe in Evolution as the means of the earth coming into existence. What irony in view of such majesty! The first picture is another from our hike last week. The 2nd from bottom is one of Mount Blanc in the background, the tallest peak in all of Europe.
I had two conversations in French today. I stumbled through them, but I made it!!! What I don't understand is how I can say something seeming exactly like they say it and they look at me trying to figure out what on earth I'm saying. Then when I make myself into an amateur mime to try and act it out, they finally get and say OHHH! You mean _____ !!! And they say the exact same thing I just said the same way. I must be missing something. Maybe I'm not hissing my esssessss long enough. I appreciate your prayers for not only is starting from scratch a daunting task, it is especially hard when communication is limited if not impossible.


No comments: