Thursday, September 27, 2007

France

Today is day three of the French adventure. I will be visiting la feu, the ministry I will be mainly working with. I am taking my French placement test for the universitairie on Monday, which I will probably fail. Today, just after the host family had left the house for the day, I recieved a phone call from the youngest boy's teacher saying he needed to be taken home as he was not feeling well. I called the dad at work, hoping to relay this message- here is the conversation;

me: "hello, Georges, i got a call from the school, your son is sick and needs to be brought home from school. i can get him if you tell me how to get there."

Georges: "repeat, please?"

me: "(repeat)"

Georges: "hold on"

Georges: (putting phone on speaker) "repeat please?"

me "reapeat"

Georges: " you want me to visit you?"

me: "no, you need to visit your son at school."

georges: "you need ride to school?"

me: "no, william needs ride from school."

georges: "ok, I come visit you in one hour"

me "no, your son is sick, he needs you to get him from school."

georges: "OH! You at universitairie! you want ride to house!"

me: "no, your Son! Sick!
(after about 10-20 minutes of this, other people interjecting comments in french)
georges: "OH! MY SON! SICK! i call teacher now."

me: confused

this is the language barrier. sort of like God talking to us. Repeating the same things over and over, but we already have our minds made up and we hear him affirming our thoughts. When we finally let go of our own assumptions and presuppositions and step into His realm, we understand what HE has been saying all along.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, sounds like an experience. I was just thinking that there's sort of a language barrier on your blog because the text is really hard to read without highlighting it. Could you make a bit more eye friendly? Thanks dude. Jon

Unknown said...

Hi... :)
So glad you're finding the humor in this! :) I couldn't stop laughing and everyone in the computer lab was staring at me... What words have you learned so far?
I miss you...

ACross said...

Good story! Glad you got your blog up and running. Tell Jon Herr to get some glasses. : )

Jageuro said...

Those are some nice pictures of France, somehow I came across your website lol. Im glad you arrived safely at your destination. did you mention that it snowed there. I saw that you were wearing a jacket. well... It was 33 degrees in Philadelphia on Wednesday seriously! I was going to remain anonymous but one of you guys is going to figure out who I am by that comment. Im going to look out for where you are staying on MSN or google Earth. may God bless you with your ministry in France and I beleive you will eventually pass your French test. God bless

From
?