Monday, January 14, 2008

ma fiancee et moi






Here I am attempting to show you a bit of what happened for Ariel's proposal. The last picture is us outside the restaurant after getting engaged. My engagement gift to her was the wooden rose, a placard made with exotic woods from all over the world. The shading is done by burning each piece just so in hot sand. It took me three days to make it. The Puzzle was how I proposed to her. I took the pieces from the puzzle and gave them to all her family and some significant people in our lives here in Europe and then throughout Christmas, each person gave them to her in envelopes that she wasn't allowed to open of course. When we went out to the restaurant I could tell she was nervous so I asked her if she was worried I was going to propose to her that night. She said maybe so I pulled out the puzzle frame and all the envelopes containing the pieces and said, "here is a Christmas gift for you that will tell you when I'm going to propose so you don't have to be anxious anymore." The first two words she put together were, "marry me." After that, she had quite a good idea about when I was going to ask her. Then I gave her the ring box upside down and fumbled out a speech neither of us can remember- probably for the better. All that matters is she said yes, we just don't remember what, yet. Speaking of that, that ambiguity might be useful someday! The first picture is a picture of Ariel when we went ice skating in Geneva, Switzerland with the fountain in center ville and the Alps behind us. The second is the ring that came from the same jeweler as my late grandmother's. We are happy with it. Voila, that's the story according to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jon and Ariel,
Beautiful! All of it, but especially the two of you. "God has made everything beautiful in His time" is so apropos in view of His personal, gracious work in bringing you two together. I'm loving those engagement smiles, ours are almost as wide as yours. Love and Prayers, Pop and Mom

Amanda Kontz said...

Congrats :)